Our New Old House

1918 Bungalow

Flower

Haunting my future house

I went to the house after work last night with three goals:

  1. Measure the windows
  2. Measure area for fixing erosion problem
  3. Take more photos and visually assess our lead paint problem

I accomplished two out of three. Didn’t get to the erosion problem part. But I measured all the windows from the outside, except the attic, of course, since I’m not allowed in the house yet until we close on Aug. 17.

The windows all seem to be a pretty standard size. I wrote down all the measurements and I’ll be shopping around for window prices.

Here are some window pictures:
IMG_0965IMG_0962IMG_0957

The lead paint situation is daunting, but it’s not beyond the scope of my ability. All the paint on the outside is absolutely flaking off at the lightest touch. I hate to think how much lead there is in the dirt surrounding the house. I wonder if it would be worth it to scrape away that very top layer of dirt and haul it to the dump. It’s going to be a real challenge keeping all the flakes contained.

Even though I didn’t get around to taking measurements, I got some good pictures of the eroded area of the yard and started thinking about what I can do to improve soil retention and channel water away from the foundation.

Here are some pictures of the area:
IMG_0977IMG_0976

I’ll post more later about my specific plans for this solution.

[tags]landscaping, windows[/tags]

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply