Our New Old House

1918 Bungalow

Flower

Andronicus, stain not thy floors with blood.

Clouds and eclipses may stain both moon and sun but it was our job to stain these floors with Cherry Minwax.

IMG_6407

But first, Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner. (Does anyone else think that sounds a little dirty?)

IMG_6404

When I did the front bedroom floor back in (omigosh) 2010, I applied everything using a brush. It was a small room and I wanted to be very careful about how much and how evenly everything was applied.

IMG_6445

Ha! Remember that hair?

This time around I had a much larger area to cover and I also had help to keep things moving so we wouldn’t leave the stain on too long. We used wooly pads on the end of broom handles to spread everything on the floors.

Here’s the Pre-Stain going on in the bedroom. (Tee-hee!)

Untitled

I still wiped everything by hand to make sure I got even coverage.

2012-11-05 21.45.23

We had some fun with the rag bag.

Untitled

Then we started applying the stain a section at a time.

Untitled

Once that was done we used basically the same technique to apply polyurethane. We used a variety specially made for floors. It was a little thicker than usual polyurethane (it looked and felt like maple syrup) and allowed application of a second coat without needing to sand in between.

Here are some more pictures of the staining and sealing process, in no particular order.

2012-11-05 19.10.27

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Leave a Reply